Riverside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riverside

meretricious fun

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» THIS MAH FORUM NAO
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:20 pm by sockpuppet

» Lenormand links
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 3:22 pm by sockpuppet

» In case of emergency :)
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 3:21 pm by sockpuppet

» And more welcomes, for Mr. Wrath &c.
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:39 pm by stella

» LE BATELEVR - Part two : The three legged table
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 pm by sockpuppet

» L ERMITE - VIIII card.
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:47 pm by sockpuppet

» LA ROVE DE FORTVNE
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:44 pm by sockpuppet

» LA PAPESSE
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm by sockpuppet

» 符號化的猴子
If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 pm by sockpuppet

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Forum

If you were devising your own system...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stella
Admin
stella

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-07-08

If you were devising your own system... Empty
PostSubject: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Looking at the Cast-a-Stone site yesterday, I got to thinking (again!) about getting a custom set of stones done. I can't afford them, but it's a nice dream.

I could probably burn something on little oak discs, though, if I can find someone to slice up a branch for me! That might be very nice, stained and rubbed with lots of linseed oil. Oak is sturdy, too, and allegedly has oracular powers.

So I was thinking about how I would do this last night. I limited myself to 21 symbols. I like that number for personal reasons. Got some ideas, but it's not there yet, and I'm open to suggestions.

One thing I see in a lot of systems is that they have Sun, Moon, Man and Woman. I could probably get by with just a solid I-Ching style line for Yang, and a broken one for Yin. Male-female, active-receptive, hot-cool, etc. But what would I use for combinations that would tell me whether they were talking about a person or not?

I'd retain the Dog from Lenormand (probably just make a pawprint glyph). Also the Snake, Heart, and maybe the Scythe (or maybe I'd just make a little stilletto knife glyph, that might be better?)

I don't know about the Ship. Maybe I could pack "Ship" and "Roads" into Highway?

I'd like a Miracle glyph. The one you're always happy to see, the deus ex machina. A hand from a cloud, an Angel...anything active, that doesn't just sit there all aloof. I'd probably do Tara's seed syllable, TAM:

If you were devising your own system... Tam10 or this slightly fancier one:If you were devising your own system... Tam-ti10

I'm not sure if it's quite proper to do that, though, so I'll check first.

A Money glyph! Maybe $. Or a euro glyph, or BPS, since our dollars are no good anymore.

Message/letter/phone call? Probably a Mercury glyph. That would cover them all.

An Eye, like in Biedermeier, Gypsy Witch, and Witch's Runes. "You are being observed with interest..." It's also a kind of Eye of God/constancy thing.

And if you have an Eye, you have to have a Mouth! Mouth-Mercury would be someone telling you something, but Mouth-Money would be a financial drain, "another mouth to feed"!

I'm still adding and discarding ideas. It's fun, but I'm not ready to make them, because I'll change my mind. Laughing

How would you do yours?
Back to top Go down
https://riverside.forumotion.net
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 6:43 pm

I've got a proto-model for it.

Who's got questions? I want to test-drive it. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 pm

Actually found a pile of trimmed oak branches on the way to work yesterday and got myself a short branch. Hopefully my neighbor is slicing it up as we speak. It's fatter than I originally intended, kind of silver-dollar sized, but that's okay, I can do more detail that way, actual little pictures and not just glyphs.

Here is what I came up with. There are 22, not as a derivative of tarot, but because I needed all of them. Limits are like piecrust - made to be broken. pirat This is a personal set, i imagine if I made them for someone else, they would be a bit different.

MIRACLE - TAM glyph. Tara, very lucky break, transcendence. Active, dynamic divine energy.

GOLDEN APPLE - Eris's golden apple. Chaos. Stirring the pot. Chaos contains both order and disorder. Strife, but also creativity.

PENTAGON - A pentagon with crossed rifles. Order.
Imposed order and chaos escalate in direct proportion to each other. A little order is good. Too much order is fascism. Well aspected: organiization, neatness, etc. Ill-aspected: prison, military, controlled environment.

SUN - A sun with a man's face. I had a little trouble making such a round face look masculine and experimented with facial hair, etc., but what I finally did was to do the features like Sitting Bull's, and it looks fine. Sun, man, active, yang, etc.

MOON - Moon with a woman's face. Lunar, woman, receptive, yin, etc.

STAR - A star. Same as Lenormand.

EYE - An eye. You are being observed with interest. Constancy, eye of God. Alternately, spying, stalking.

MOUTH - A mouth. Consumes. Could also indicate speech.

HAND - A hand. Work, job, human endeavors, efforts, help.

HEART - Human lives, love, affection.

MERMAID - A mermaid. (If I make a smaller version, I'll probably just draw a perfume bottle.) Strong attraction. La Sirena! Beware of rocks. Music, flirtation, pleasure.

GHOST - A ghost. Things that haunt, keep coming back, won't go away. Illusory things, things that are hard to pin down.

SNAKE - A snake. Same as Lenormand.

MERCURY - Communication, letter, phone call, email, message, etc. Also speed.

MONEY - Dollar signs, euro signs, etc. Money.

DOG - Friend, loyalty, protection, vigilance, fidelity. Like Lenormand.

SPROUT - A tiny plant. A child, a new project, new idea, anything just beginning.

RAIN - Raindrops. Depending on what it is next to, could mean "a lot", life-giving, or tears, "raining in your parade"...

SCISSORS - Scissors. "Cut off." That's it. End. Over. Separation.

PITCHFORK - A pitchfork. In this age of farm machinery, a pitchfork is generally only used for mucking out stalls. In other words, there's a lot of BS around.

HOUSE - A house. Same as Lenormand.

HIGHWAY - A highway. Travel. Distance, either literal or metaphorical.

No takers? I really want to do some readings with these and de-bug them before I make the permanent set!
Back to top Go down
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 12:31 pm

I got my slices last Thursday - the guy used a little electric saw of some kind, with the wickedest blade he had. Oak is HARD.

When I got them, they weren't sappy, but they were moist enough that there was a fine sawdust caked all over them. I had to knock it off with a pocket knife. Here they are, right after that:

If you were devising your own system... Slice

As you can see, they are very white. They are darker than that now, since I rub them with linseed oil every night. I'll stop when they stop soaking it in.

I haven't had time to burn very many, but I did manage to do a few. Here is TAM, the "miracle" symbol:

If you were devising your own system... Drolma

I haven't added any tints yet. I'm going to wait until all this oiling is done. But when I do add color, it's going to be very minimal.

This one is kind of crude, but you can tell what it is, so it's okay:

If you were devising your own system... Shears

I'm not very good with things like that. I think the Pentagon is going to be the hardest one for me.

I'm happy with the Mermaid:

If you were devising your own system... Merlady

I touched her up a tiny bit after that, brought out the contrast a bit and made the tail fin behind her head just a little more prominent, but this is basically it.

You've heard the old blues songs that say "the eagle flies on Friday", but what I remember the old people actually saying was that the eagle shits. I'm guessing the expression was just cleaned up so that those songs could get on the radio. So here is my Payday symbol:

If you were devising your own system... Payout

Laughing jocolor clown

I lost a little wing tip when the bark chipped, but that's okay.

Here is the Eye:

If you were devising your own system... Ispy

This one has also been touched up a bit since I took the picture. I used a different camera phone when I took this, that's why it looks reddish. As I mentioned, I haven't put any tints on them at this point. The darker shading in the iris is the natural variation in the wood, and all the black shading is burn. I've touched this one up a little since I took the picture, too, neatened up the "eyeliner", but this is basically it.

Here are some on a dollar, just to give you an idea of the size:

If you were devising your own system... Scale

It's more fun than it is work, actually. :sheba
Back to top Go down
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:47 pm

I did some more last night. Here is the Sun:

If you were devising your own system... Wi

As mentioned earlier, it's an Indian-type face, I thought of Sitting Bull while I did it.

Here is the Moon:

If you were devising your own system... Moon

It's the face I imagine seeing on the moon, kind of a 1920's feminine ideal. I don't know why I see it that way.

The Pentagon is on the rough slice, from where they trimmed the tree. Enforced order!

If you were devising your own system... Pentagon

I might add the crossed rifles later, I don't know.

Here's the Star:

If you were devising your own system... Star

Those actually aren't red like that, I took the pictures at night with a different camera phone and that's how they came out.

Eris's Golden Apple:

If you were devising your own system... Eris

And the Dog:

If you were devising your own system... Dog

That makes eleven. Half-done. It's fun working out your own symbology. I'd recommend this to everybody - if you don't like wood, get some Fimo or something.

I'm thinking about doing away with one of the ones I haven't done yet and making a Harpy one, to warn of malice. The Snake doesn't quite say that - snakes, after all, bite when you're about to step on them.
Back to top Go down
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:23 pm

I made some more. Here is the Hand:

If you were devising your own system... Hand

Houses in oracle decks always look like mansions. I made a simple little house:
If you were devising your own system... House

Here is Mercury. You can't see it here, but I put the planetary glyph on the sandal. I'll try to take a better picture, but in the meantime:
If you were devising your own system... Mercury

Here is the Road. Zoom!
If you were devising your own system... Road
Again, I kept it simple and didn't add utility poles, signs, strip malls, road kill, etc., etc.

The Harpy isn't quite what I wanted. I might do it over:
If you were devising your own system... Harpy

And here is the Rattler!
If you were devising your own system... Pic100508_8
Back to top Go down
stella
Admin
stella

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:42 am

Update (if anyone reads this thread.... Sleep )

I've made more of sets. This one's been sold:
https://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc322/fennario99/oracle/set2/?start=all

I had trouble with the finish on that batch, (had to varnish it! :sadnana ) so I switched to mesquite. Nice hardwood, only needs linseed oil. Here are the beginnings of two sets I'm working on:
https://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc322/fennario99/oracle/mesquite/

This isn't final. I might redo some of those. Right now I'm just watching things take shape.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you were devising your own system...   If you were devising your own system... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you were devising your own system...
Page 1 of 1